General

Use this forum to post your ideas about how we can rebuild the party. The best ones as voted by the community may be incorporated in the plan we deliver to candidates for RNC Chairman.

The next RNC Chairman should...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Road ahead

After reading the lead article “The Plan for the Future,” I was excited to see that many others in the party are also concerned with where we are at and the direction that needs to be taken to get us back on track. I put these comments on paper simply to voice my opinion and “have a say,” in the hopes that the Republican Party can indeed move forward from the 2008 election loss and re-emerge as a party to be proud of in the near future. Although “The Plan…” was well written and contained a wealth of positive steps…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Overhaul GOP.com

The current GOP.com, to put it bluntly, is abysmal. It has a clumsy blogging and networking interface, there are at least a few broken links, etc. This website presents our party in a poor light.

This is one problem that is relatively easy to solve, and we should all be able to agree that it needs to be done.

2 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Retool the research department

The RNC's opposition research department was anemic at best in 2008. Most of its releases rehashed stale information and had little to no effect on earned media. Significant resources should be invested in more creative and energetic researchers.

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Recruit top flight candidates for upcoming special elections

Obama, Biden and possibly Hillary Clinton will all be giving up their senate seats. Other Senate Dems may be named to the Cabinet as well. Kennedy has serious health issues, Diane Feinstein will likely run for governor of California.

Go hard after these seats now. Find the strongest, most attractive candidates in each state and recruit them beginning now. Rudy could win Hillary's seat. Romney could win Kennedy's. Arnold could win Feinstein's. These are strong leaders in each of their states and can begin the process of re-taking the senate beginning NOW.

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            under review  ·  9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Establish Regional Chairmen and Decentralize structure

The current status of structure of the Republican Party, left over from the Bush presidential runs, is top down. This is our biggest problem. The top down structure and our current idea of "big tent" with only a few ring leaders stand in contrast to many of our core principles. We advocate decentralized government, but our party is one bastion of centralized power. We advocate that those closest to a problem know how to best deal with that problem, but our party structure demands that problems are fixed in a top down fashion. We advocate for liberty and competition in…

7 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Build up Blog Talk Radio

We need to invest our radio success and transform it for the new generation. We need NEW Radio talent, and in a new medium, using the full features of multi-channel and multi-media interactions.

10 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                under review  ·  14 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • "Force" state and local parties to become ACTIVE.

Too many state and local parties have become apathetic and useless. The next Chairman, and leadership of the party need to ensure that all do their jobs, or that they are replaced.

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  under review  ·  6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • transform the rhetoric

. . . to express conservative ideals in a positive way. We have to become an inclusive party of big ideas and clear solutions. We need to avoid the divisive issues--rather than including anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage, anti-immigrant rhetoric in our platform, we need to focus on conservative ideas that won't alienate Americans who have differing viewpoints. I'm a social conservative, but I'd rather see the GOP focus on the issue of judges rather than the divisive issue of abortion. Rather than vowing to overturn Roe v. Wade, we need to focus on lowering abortion rates and encouraging married couples to…

9 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    under review  ·  6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • figure out social networking

The Dems and the Obama campaign dominated social networking. From Facebook to upcoming.org to a million blogs. They had online widgets, meet-ups, posted messages.

As a McCain supporter on one of these sites you felt distinctly uncool and "out of it."

We need to encourage the use of social networking and empower 'online' activists to use it as an engine to generate enthusiasm in limited government, low-tax principles

4 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • GOP platfrom must speak to the hearts of "Green" people

"Green" people are an enormous contingency that votes for liberal candidates because they believe GOP is destroying the environment. They often do not see the big picture because it is not communicated effectively.

Green people do not recognize that just one of Iran's dirty bombs would destroy significant part of environment. They usually have anti-war mentality because the real threats of our enemies are played down, and because the real intentions of these enemies are not communicated properly for fear of being "politically incorrect".

Green folks are very smart, passionate people, often to the exclusion of the big picture because…

5 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Always be positive, don't be the "anti" party

This last election the GOP's message was essentially: Obama is bad, therefore you should vote for us.

Stop focusing on the negative qualities of the Democrats. The Republican party should be more than "those people who don't like Democrats".

Never rely on the incompetence of others for your success.

8 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Stop Accepting PAC and Lobbyist Money

The Republican National Committee needs to deal with some very basic facts. First, less than 2% of the RNC's money came from PAC's and lobbyists in 2008. Second, 69% of Americans believe corruption is a major problem in Washington. Third, 44% of Americans trust Democrats more than Republicans to handle corruption.

By refusing to accept PAC and lobbyist money, the RNC will powerfully show that they are committed to real change. This move would be a powerful counter-argument against what will be a protracted and ugly battle over what to do with Senator Ted Stevens. It would also help rebuild…

35 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            under review  ·  9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Focus on colleges

Use the Greek system for politics--those kids come from conservative backgrounds and are going to be successful leaders in the futures. Also college faith groups and dorms, etc....get 'em young and educate them on economics and history and why the Republican party will be better for them.

11 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • create an online "reading group"

we need to begin at the beginning, we need to read/reread budkley,goldwater, gingrich, reagen, and THE FOUNDERS.....we need to reflect on their writings, wisdom and create our new platform and agenda based on the proven truths

3 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Begin grooming the Party's candidates for 2012 NOW!!

The dynasty of a political family may be taboo and we in the United States are not supposed to have "royalty." But, the success of the Kennedy and Bush families have come because those families began preparing their children for their rise to political power from an early age. If we want Republican success in 2012, we have to start now to determine who the viable candidates will be so there is no back-biting and pettiness in the primaries and no need to re-unite the party after the best candidate is chosen. The candidate for President should already be chosen…

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Convene a special convention focused on ideas

Our quadrenial conventions have become meaningless corentation ceremonies that rarely if ever produce meaningful platforms or stimulate creative thought regarding WHY we are engaing in the political process in the first place. The next party chairman could break that mold by convening a special convention to focus on drafting a comprehensive party platform that includes a statement of core beliefs regarding the appropiate function of government at all levels, the role of majority rule in determining government policy, the rights and obligations of individuals and groups that dissent from majority opinion, the limits government should respect when implementing the will…

5 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Begin Vetting Republican Candidates NOW

Instead of waiting until the last minute, now is the time to enlist intelligent, motivated, productive and successful leaders and potential leaders for the party. These people must have a proven track record not just voting present but must demonstrate a clear precise, truthful opinion on the issues.

10 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Be FOR something and not just against

Be FOR something and not just against

Republicans historically have been the party of opposition and are very good at it. Leadership as the majority requires being FOR something. Mr. Newt’s Contract is an excellent example of the leadership of being FOR something and the success it brings.

Go in the back room caucus, get everyone’s ideas, vote on it, pick 3 to 5 max national issues, stay on point and talk only of those issues, go out and campaign, achieve a peoples victory

WALK THE TALK.

For all 27 years I have been in the party I have never…

10 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Listen to People who Inspire

While the Internet is an extremely useful tool that the RNC has failed to utilize strategically, it is NOT the reason that the Republican party failed to win in 2008.

It lost because it failed to inspire people.

All of the internet marketing and grassroots efforts one can muster will not have an effect if there is not an inspiring idea or person behind the effort. John McCain, despite an inspirational story, admirable service, and good name recognition, was not an inspiring candidate who presented intriguing and new ideas. Ron Paul, on the other hand, was a little-known member of…

10 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Use Meetup and other Web-to-face groups

Harness the power of the internet and translate it into people building local groups that are ready to respond in the campaigns. For example, Obama had Meet-up groups (www.meetup.com) two years ago, and they were very effective in my local community for creating support and enabling mobilization for him from the primaries on-ward. Local leaders should be identified, and then targeted to create these, and have people who visit internet sites directed toward these groups.

5 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5
                                          • Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base