The next RNC Chairman should...

Close the Primaries to Republicans ONLY

Let's face it, the MSM, Demo☭rats, and Independents helped choose our candidate. We have to stop letting them in. If those people want to support our candidates, let them do so in the general election, when they can explain WHY they should vote for us.

727 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    MackerMacker shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

106 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I NEED to burst your bubble. McCain was forced on us in Florida. Florida is a CLOSED primary. Florida went for McCain bigtime. Y'all need to learn that open is free and free is what Republicans are all about. If you want closed, go join the Democrats and their closed union shops, controlled by governors and mob bosses. Give the people freedom to choose, which is open primary. On the day of the election, you choose if you will vote in the Republican or the Democrat primary, not both, and this will bring in all the discontented folks inbetween also.

• danielbrophydanielbrophy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We can't force states to hold only closed primaries. What we should do, however, is try to limit primaries which fall within the first thirty days of the primary season to closed primary states. That is to say, we'll let states hold all of the open primaries they want, but we won't seat delegates if any of them hold their primary within after the first primary of the year. No more McCains!

• katmeredithkatmeredith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I live in GA and we do not choose a party at registration. You can choose a party affiliation when you go to vote, but that's all and it's not particularly conclusive. So I don't understand exactly how you would close the primaries. But I definitely support doing so. Many good Republican candidates this year were most likely forcefully weeded out by Democrats. We need to prevent this.

I agree we should close the primaries to Republicans. I mean, they have not done a good job of choosing a presidential candidate since, what, 1988? But that doesn't mean the primaries should be opened to Democrats or independents - no way!

I haven't quite decided who should get the vote, but the choice is down to Diebold (cut out the middleman) or the Modern Whig Party (because why not?).

• UTZachUTZach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And McCain did not win because of Democrats. He won because the GOP has a strange tradition of always picking the so-called "next in line." Reagan '76 (Lost), '80 (Won); Bush '80 (Lost), '88 (Won); Dole '88 (Lost), '96 (Won)...

• UTZachUTZach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, the RNC should impose a closed primary rule on all states. If a state fails to comply, penalize the state. Take a page from the DNC's book.

• frickerfricker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only bad thing about a one day primary is the "longevity" question of the candidate. Can they run a long, thorough campaign?
        That being said, I AGREE. All state primaries on the same day, so we don't cast throwaway votes for a candidate preselected by corn farmers and yankees! ;)

• Chess1957Chess1957 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I heard from independants that feel that we are evil in this thought. Try being from PA facing constituents at the polls knowing that their vote was a moot point. McCain was chosen, that made for bad feelings. We should have primaries on same day too. Level the darn field. Other states should be like PA we have closed Primary. I like the way you think Bullwinkle.

• BullwinkleBullwinkle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good idea. The Republican primaries should be for registered Republicans. Keep it simple and straightforward. It became increasingly clear that anyone can call themselves a Republican and vote Republican - and not be a Republican. The GOP should become smaller and smarter, and clearer about what it stands for, and then plan for growth.

• David StoutDavid Stout commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the next presidential race there will be no question about the Democratic candidate- which means that many Democrats (in states like mine where the primaries are open) will cast mischief votes. Liberal members of my family have done it before and will likely do it again.

• frickerfricker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

letfreedomring
        Stunted sentences not good english. Closed primaries means better republicans. Short phrases sound stupid. Dems don't vote conservative. Primaries infected by moderate candidates. Closed primaries gets candidates who vote for more freedom for ALL. Conservative candidate electable. Dems pick McCain loser. Short blurb clauses loser.

Closed doors is not freedom. Closed primary is like closed union shop, not Republican. Repubs want Right to work and Right to Vote. Closed is bad. Government should be open in a free society. Texas is our example, for they have open primaries, and primaries are secret ballot. Caucuses are bad. The unions want it, so they, the bullies, know how you vote. Open primary and secret ballot is freedom.

• Chess1957Chess1957 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to get back to what we were in the Regan era. We are now going to have to go through 2 years of a scary political climate, we may end up with another useless commision. Can we say Energy conservation Committee, by President Carter. A useless commision that is still in tact grows every year and does nothing but spend money. Hope not but probably will.

• wombatwombat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm an independent, and I take that very seriously. I don't want to join _any_ party, but I will always vote and always willing to promote the ideas I favor no matter who says them. I'm already not allowed to vote in the Republican primary, and that's a something of a problem. You have to trust me that I'm not going to sabotage you. The democrats do.

• river westriver west commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hum! in my county precinct caucuses only registered republicans are allowed to vote on items - for example central committee members .... you need to change your by laws immediately.

primaries are designated via parties too. general elections its all a huge mix.

• LedeAgendaLedeAgenda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Failure to restrict the Republican primary to REGISTERED REPUBLICAN VOTERS ONLY is how the party ended up with John McCain as our nominiee and why 7% of the party's base WALKED AWAY from the Republican party this election.

• Chuck Nutz, Esq.Chuck Nutz, Esq. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

VOTING for republicans only - duh!

And Truck Nutz for every F150! And 1200 cases of Crystal Pepsi (TM) in every root cellar! And NUTZ to you!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base