The next RNC Chairman should...

End the war on drugs.

Conservatives are about FREEDOM. It's your body and you should be allowed to put whatever you want into it so long as you are not hurting others. If we change from the police state to the freedom state we will shake the political scene to its foundations. For 150 years the country did just fine with NO drug laws. We should go back to that. We should trust the individual.

2,056 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ALAMACALAMAC shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

216 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • wizard61wizard61 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Taxes provide a better means of control than do laws. The laws have failed -- or, exactly how much evidence must we collect?

• Toby KeithToby Keith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Free roofies for all underage interns! Don't be afraid of teh libertiez!!!!111!!!!!!

And MOAR TRUCKNUTZ!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!111!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Tom SpettigueTom Spettigue commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@ danielbrophy:

The argument that "there is a case to be made" for those "other" drugs doesn't hold much water either, though. Drug prohibition is causing the black market, causing the violence in South American states, and causing drugs to be manufactured through illegal, and thus un-regulated means. The end product is a lower quality, likely much more dangerous drug.

Do you know how much money the cocaine industry makes annually? It's between $70-77 billion dollars, for producing a global total of 600 metric tons of cocaine. Half of that comes to the United States. I'm sorry, I just don't buy that a failed drug policy is going to rid the world of that -- and at the end of the day, I still think a cocaine user has a right to his/her cocaine so long as they use responsibly and don't harm anyone else.

• gaol orientedgaol oriented commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A fence won't do much good, without totally crippling cross-border trade there's no way to stop drugs from coming through customs. Even if cartels primarily smuggled drugs across the border in deserted areas, they certainly have the money to work around a fence using boats, planes, and even mini-subs. The drug trade is far too profitable to be stopped so easily.

• danielbrophydanielbrophy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We ought to first erect a 2000 mile triple layer fence on the Mexican border, then decriminalize marijuana ONLY. This will make the job of the border patrol much easier, as they will need only to deal with the smuggling of hard drugs. There is a valid case to be made that these should be illegal. It is absurd, however, to spend billions to fight marijuana use, while alcohol is left alone.

• gaol orientedgaol oriented commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without the drug war would we have the militarization of police that we have today? Probably not, and then how much more difficult would it be for me to pretend that I live under a right-wing military dictatorship? THIS IS A FANTASY THAT I NEED TO SURVIVE IN THIS WISHY-WASHY WORLD OF CENTER-RIGHTISTS.

• Brian89Brian89 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

tamcamry: OUR society's value is greatly decremented when we don't have freedom of choice. No one is going to throw their lives away for the sake of drugs without being a complete fool in the first place.. Your take on this is foolish, as freedom is the only choice. Don't assume others are so weak.. Maybe you are the one who is weak?

• nathan1982nathan1982 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Prohibition just doesn't work. That's been proven time and again. We put unnecessary drain on our economy. Instead of worrying about how people hurt themselves we should focus on those hurting other people and stop making criminals out of otherwise law abiding citizens. Stop trying to live everyones lives for them. My way's not yours but it's not wrong. Simply put Michael Phelps is NOT a criminal.

• WoodsWoods commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Federal Government has been granted no authority by the American people to enforce or prosecute crimes other than treason, piracy, counterfitting, and crimes of those in the military. When the Republican Party starts respecting the Constitutional limits of our republican form of government it will attract voters like sugar does ants.

• justjoejustjoe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"what you put in your body will eventually hurt me and society"
        This remark can justify outlawing everything from tobacco to Big Macs. It's a prime example of putting the good of "the state" ahead of the good of the individual. I'm sure tamcamry didn't mean it that way, but it's an old argument. Look, that attitude pretty much DEMANDS outlawing tobacco, alchohol, and lots of other "bad" stuff.

• justjoejustjoe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some comments here refer to murders "caused" by drugs. But these deaths are in fact caused by the PROHIBITION against drugs and the expense IMPOSED by it. THIS is what makes some drugs, like cocaine, more valuable than gold. The drugs themselves are cheap to make. When Capone killed a rival to steal his territory, was this death caused by BEER? No, it was caused by prohibition's FINANCIAL motive.

• howard j.wooldridgehoward j.wooldridge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After 40 years of drug war/prohibition, drugs are cheaper, stronger and readily available to our kids. My police profession has wasted a trillion tax dollars arresting Wilie and Rush and Whitney Houston.

Moreover, chew on this: 7 of 10 soldiers dying in Afghanistan are killed by bullets bought with drugs money. Someone telling me all the benefits of prohibition

• ChaseRehnChaseRehn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Liberty! That is why all drugs should be legal. How can any form of property be controlled in a free society?

• ALAMACALAMAC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

...its use in the population is lower than here; and its use by underage people is MUCH lower than here. This applies to the effects of drugs as well: Even though Holland has "heroin parks" where users can go and shoot up without arrest, the death rate from use of the drug is lower than here. Free people are able to judge what is best for them. FREEDOM WORKS and we should trust it. Thanks...

...is not supported by the evidence. Tobacco, for instance, is far more deadly than cannabis; and alcohol is much more destructive of a person's judgment than, say, prescription barbiturates taken illegally; and 2.) That the legal availability of drugs means they will be used more. The evidence also does not bear this out: In Holland, where cannabis is effectively legal (cont.)...

@tamcamry: Good comment and I think you put your finger on a major misapprehension: You believe, as most drugwar supporters do, a couple of things that I don't think are supported by the evidence: 1.) That there is a relationship between the dangerousness of drugs and their illegality, that is that illegal drugs are illegal because they are more dangerous than legal ones. This (cont.)...

• tamcamrytamcamry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The biggest problem Almanac is that people don't know moderation. You may, I might, but most people don't. The proof is all the drug addicts that exist, along with all the alcohalics, smokers, obese people and anyone else who takes things too far. The only difference with illegal drugs is that the harm comes much faster. We don't need another drag on society.

• tamcamrytamcamry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Almanac, do you think maybe you are the one letting predjudices get in the way? We want to stop people from hurting themselves and society as a whole. I agree that tobacco and alcohol are problems. They are problems because people legally use too much of it and hurt themselves. What happens next is where you and I come in. Who do you think pays for them?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11

Feedback and Knowledge Base