The next RNC Chairman should...

Ignore Ron Paul and the Campaign for Freedom

How is it possible that the top vote-getting idea on this site right now -- by almost 300 votes -- is to embrace Ron Paul? Either Paul's legion of online supporters are trying to fill what they perceive as a vacuum in the GOP, or we're in more trouble than I thought. Hillary Clinton is not sitting around trying to figure out how to be more like Dennis Kuchinich. Paul and his supporters are to be commended for their impressive online presence, but Paul is not a Republican, and his ideas are not the future of the GOP. This site is littered with libertarian suggestions from people who are obviously Paul supporters trying to remake the Party in his image. I respect their opinions and their passion, but they are not the future of the GOP. Let's talk more about domestic policy, netroots, and fund raising around here, and less about bringing fringe candidates into the fold.

352 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    joeyt2kjoeyt2k shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

119 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ron Paul is a true Republican, who will fight for your freedom and liberty, and will spend all the dollars on rebuilding amercia instead of Iraq and other countries that the USA illegally are imposing FREEDOM on their citizens. People GET REAL...Ron Paul is the only truly honest politician at that level you have, why turn your backs on him...Whats to fear, I cant believe you would vote for any other candidate...Palin is a lying bitch, and Mitt Romney is a dick...None of them understand economics any way close to Ron Paul, and he is a medical doctor, what a brillaint balance, open ur eyes

• conservative father of 8conservative father of 8 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ron Paul was never a real answer. He was a self-promoted fence sitter who chose which side to support depending upon which groups were easily led to fundraise for him. He is a beltway insider, over 30 years of voting for one increase after another just like all other Congressmen and women in D.C. If we were all truly honest, Ron Paul would be one of the ones we would be pressing to retire just like the others. Anyone who has been in D.C. for 30 can never honestly claim to be an outsider and for change. Plus at 1.89% of the primary vote, he has shown the lack of ability to connect with mainstream conservatives in order to build a real and respected campaign.

• MorticianMortician commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is the O.P crazy Ron Paul is more Republican than any other candidate there is.

• Real ConservativeReal Conservative commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, there is nothing worse than to espouse the ideas that our Founding Fathers gave us. Let's instigate a dictatorship and have Giuliani rule us with an iron grip. That is the true American way. No more freedoms, no more elections, and let's have wars that last for centuries no matter how useless they are. There is nothing better than to have American soldiers come home in coffins wherein they fought for our new American Empire. Yes, Empire!! We need to rule the world, and if that means we go bankrupt, incur over a million deaths of expendable American soldiers, then so be it. After all, this is the new Neo-conservative Republican Party of Big Government, huge corporations, no small businesses, and no Christianity. That's right, this is the new Republican party. We're in your face with tyranny and government control.

Down with Conservative politics and up with FDR type government!!! I agree with the original poster of this thread.

• katmeredithkatmeredith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm more of a libertarian, I admit it. But part of that is because they have a specific set of plans and beliefs, the Republicans don't anymore. I want to be a Republican and I typically vote Republican, but I think that Ron Paul is 99% correct on what we need to do and how.

• Tom SpettigueTom Spettigue commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@ Aaron: (cont'd)

Until those caveats are addressed with competent, and logical arguments (either for or against -- I'm not saying the GOP has to agree with me), the GOP won't have any of my votes in 2012, and they won't have anyone else's either. To be frank, I'd rather live in the Democrats' vision for America than the Republicans' current one, so, try me.

Finally, I'll hear what the GOP has to say when they actually start caring about individual liberty. As an atheist, I have no moral qualms with abortion, gay marriage, or comprehensive sex education. People of faith might, but they can always personally abstain from all of those practices -- rather than forcing their morals on others.

Perhaps when Republicans have the balls to end the War on Drugs, a big government, privacy-invasive and expensive program that, statistically, has had no significant effect on reducing drug availability, potency, or inexpensiveness. Even now, in horrific economic conditions, an increasingly violent border drug war -- GOP polticians haven't the balls to do what's right.

I'll hear the GOP when they stop talking about being the party of "freedom" and justice, while overwhelmingly willing to give the Executive Branch obviously dangerous powers (Patriot Act, MCA 2006, FISA revisions). I like how the GOP talks about being pro-life, while simultaneously endorsing a horrifically bloody war and torture techniques for interrogation.

And when the GOP decides to stop being the party of hypocrites (not that the Democrats are much better these days -- Libertarians FTW) that they are, I'll be willing to hear them out. Until then, I'm tired of hearing any GOP senator talk about "fiscal responsibility" after the budgetary disgrace that was the last eight years.

@Aaron:

If you have to stick to given websites, then you're obviously not keeping an open mind about anything. I'm mostly conservative, and some of the liberal crap that comes outta Digg pisses me off -- but I still go there. I still read the premises of those whom I disagree with.

• sickmint79sickmint79 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i love how someone disagreeing with the author means there's a ron paul conspiracy, aren't those idiots the ones that accuse paul supporters of tinfoil hats? the author wants the party to keep doing what it has been doing and ignore the one man whose beliefs brough energy and new interest to the party - a brilliant way to pound the last nail in the coffin of the GOP. blind, sad and ridiculous.

• AaronAaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sad that this site has been taken over by Paultards. I guess we real Republicans will have to stick to our pre-established sites like RedState.

BTW, if Ron Paul is such a real Republican, why did the front page of his campaign site have info on how to CHANGE YOUR PARTY REGISTRATION? A real Republican should be able to rely upon the votes of other Republicans to be nominated not that McCain did.

• toHELLwithRepublicanstoHELLwithRepublicans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES! CORRECT! Paulers WILL NOT reanimate this elephant corpse. This party has REJECTED God. REJECTED the Supreme Laws of the land. REJECTED self-determination. REJECTED cries of those it represents. It is the Lochlan, Mornay and Craig to Paul's William Wallace. So yes, continue to court the evil and trick the weak. That will bear more fruit than chasing Paul's warrior poets. FREEDOM!!!!!!

• zatavuzatavu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's not about a candidate. It's not about a man. It's about ideas. Ron Paul's ideas are the best ideas in the GOP at the present time. I support him because he supports the things I support. It's about ideas. McCain had none -- which is why he won the primary (the GOP has become afraid of its own ideas), but lost the general election. If McCain (or Bush) had run as a Dem, who would have noticed?

• ColorzColorz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry but you are wrong. I am a 53 year old lady that has always voted Republican, and from what I see, it is the GOP that has lost it's way and Rob Paul who has stated what the previous GOP platforms have been. Liberty individualism, personal choice, SMALLER government, LOWER taxes. Paul has no charisma, give me a candidate that has his platform and I stay and continue to donate. Do not, I go LIB

• jfurnishjfurnish commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can protect these items and have a very small government with very little taxes. Abortion is taking of life and the government is responsible for protecting it. Legislating marriage would still just create criminals...homosexuals will have sex and live together regardless of what laws are on the books. Drunks still drank during prohabition...they just became criminals...they did not change.

The second issue you probably have with Ron Paul is his stand for personal freedom/liberty. This was how our nation was founded...just research your history. Legislating morality has never worked...think prohabition. It only makes criminals and pits groups against each other. The governments job is to protect Life, Liberty, Freedom, and Property.

The problem is we have candidates that use bullet points but don't have the wisdom or understanding about the basics of economics...this is why we had republicans voting for the bailout...we put these people in office and then prop them up and continue to support them. This has to stop. We can not have lower taxes, and less government and expand our military. You can have one but not the other.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base