The next RNC Chairman should...

Separation of Marriage and State

The United States were founded on the principle of individual liberty and responsibility. For this reason rights are afforded only to individuals and not to groups of people regardless of whether they are a group of two people or a large corporation.

I believe the most sensible and fair solution for those who are for or against Gay Marriage is to take steps to remove marriage from the grasps of government. All people should be free to enter into any type or style of personal relationship with any other consenting adult and it is not the responsibility of government to condone, condemn, keep records of, limit the number of, make preconditions for, or in any other way regulate these relationships.

The solution of Separating Marriage and State could have natural support among diverse and sometimes opposing groups such as gay rights advocates, libertarians, Mormons, and possibly many more.

Since marriage is used for several legal purposes as of current, the task of separating Marriage and State may be a long battle however this is the type of battle which can pull people from all sides together. I believe this example of a true American solution to the problem of civil rights with respect to marriage rights; Rights that should have never been denied from any American in the first place.

When the Republican Party starts backing more sensible solutions like this one that propose is when I will start to again vote Republican, until then I'll be looking elsewhere.

46 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    jeffpiersonjeffpierson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ChristianMillerChristianMiller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I strongly support your position. A major problem, however, is money. The government is effectively paying my wife and me $500,000 to be married. Increased Army housing allowance; joint income tax filing; Social Security payments to my wife only because she is my wife; spousal exemption on inheritance; and many etc. Terribly unfair to single folks who have to pay for all this.

• TastyWheatTastyWheat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Marriage is about love, not property rights and taxation. To call a civil union between two heterosexuals "marriage" is idiotic. Marriage is a personal and a religious issue, it's not a government issue. Civil unions between any two people should be recognized, but recognition of marriage should be left up to God and the community.

• jeffpiersonjeffpierson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition to the ability to combine or consolidate ideas, I would also like the ability to vote down certain ideas as well.

• joshajosha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It'd be very nice if there were a way for us to combine suggestions, as I think you and I proposed something similar here!

Feedback and Knowledge Base